Friday 16 November 2007

28 hours in Tahiti


What does one do for 28 hours in Tahiti? Not a lot I discovered. Tahiti is indeed couple paradise. Why would anyone in their right mind travel here by themselves? There is nothing to do except walk hand-in-hand along the beach or argue over whether to go sailing or shopping.

Papeete is the entry city to the islands of Tahiti. Admittedly the other islands looked stunning from the plane, but Papeete was deathly quiet, dull and a little unnerving.

So what did I do? Swim, read (an entire book) and get consumed by a tirade of bulimic mosquitoes.

The local beer (Hinano) proved to be quite nice, and the supermarket was cheap entertainment. A small baguette, a large chunk of edam and a papaya made for a good dinner.

My usual travelling paranoia was tripled when my airport pick-up was half an hour late. Simply because I feared I might have to spend another night in this paradise-hell. Fortunately my friendly driver arrived and I was joyfully whisked away to the airport.

See ya later Tahiti. Good beer and baguettes. But unnervingly quiet for a singleton city girl like me.

No comments: