Wednesday 5 May 2010

That old democratic right

Just now, mid-Wednesday evening, I sat on my bedroom floor and decided who I want to represent me in the next parliament.

It is the first time I have voted under a 'first-past-the-post' system, so felt slightly ripped off at only getting one vote, but considering I'm an immigrant, it was pretty nice of the country to let me contribute all the same.

Tomorrow is a big day here. Just about anything could happen. No more do we have to watch the terrible Conservative billboards go past the bus window; there wont be the hideous Gordon Brown election gaffs to wince at; and the amount of junk mail the Franconia ladies get will reduce right back down to Indian takeaway flyers and dodgy taxi cab business cards.

Who knows what the result will be tomorrow, but I plan on staying up all hours watching it roll in; probably until my head eventually tips back and sleep overcomes me on the sofa. My life is wild. But I love it.

2 comments:

big sis said...

wow - I'm really surprised that you get to vote! Why is that? do you not have to be a citizen?

Oh I wonder who you will vote for? I'd say you're not enough of a bigoted woman to go for Cameron, a bit bored to give Gords the tick ... my money's on the Cleggster.

Nomadic Emma said...

It seems you know me far too well sister. Cleggster it was.

I get the vote because of a quite archaic rule about Commonwealth citizens who live here getting a say. There has been general surprise amongst work colleagues and friends about it.

Long may that loophole live.