Friday 29 October 2010

Room 101

Made famous by George Orwell's '1984', Room 101 is the place that contains your worst fear or nightmare. On a slightly lighter note, according to the BBC TV show of the same name, it is where you can send your pet peeves.

With that in mind, what would you condemn to Room 101?

I've spent some time (mainly commuting hours) collating a short list of items or actions I'd like to throw into Room 101 and lock the door.

- People who wear sunglasses inside
I don't know why this annoys me so, but it does.

- Wheelie bags on the streets of London
I have almost lost my little toe numerous times when people have decided to suddenly alter the trajectory of their bag

- Massive umbrellas
They seem to have something to prove and do their best to embed their legs into the side of your head. And they can get you when they're both up and down. The other day I just about lost my eye and my foot simultaneously from someone walking up stairs with an unruly wheelie bag and a massive umbrella which came swinging back and came within inches from my face.

On the telly version, Michael Parkinson put the small piece of cotton which holds a new pair of socks together in Room 101, and Stephen Fry sent in Australian Questioning Intonation. Other gems include: bad editing in film musicals, eating in the cinema, the skin on rice pudding, and novelty underpants.

3 comments:

big sis said...

people who have loud conversations on cell phones on the bus, people who don't indicate, the loud drunken blow-fly that vanishes when you turn the light on, bus drivers that don't open the door for people who have sprinted like idiots to get to the slamming doors ... oh so many ...

Nomadic Emma said...

Can I also add people who insist on chewing gum really loudly? I was almost forced to handbag a woman on the bus this morning..

Nicki Natter said...

People who park over your driveway and leave their car unattended, dripping shower in the ensuite, mice that leave just one or two droppings in the worst places (kitchen bench, high chair....) as a calling card. Dogs licking themselves, when your toilet training your daughter and you hear 'Uh Oh', people who throw rubbish out of their car windows....oh I could go on!