Wednesday 2 February 2011

Happy birthday to my biggest 'blister'

Right now, over on the other side of the world, one of the most special people in the world is celebrating 40 years.

40 years of love, light, laughter, live interviews on the radio, and a whole lot more.

For someone who started out destroying our parents' new wallpaper with jam men, alongside covering her entire self in cold cream, she's certainly come along way.

My big sister is one of the most talented, inspiring, energetic and amusing people I've ever met. Sometimes I'm amazed we climbed up the ladder out of the same gene pool.

She's the only person I know who has had Farsi lessons. She's travelled around more countries than you have fingers and toes; circumnavigated NZ by bike, had her own telly show, and once walked for three days, by herself, across a completely isolated part of bear country in Canada.

But for me she's the person who is always at the other end of some kind of communication channel when the world is hard work; she shares in success and makes bad things ok.

My sister is the best biggest sister I could ever have dreamt of. And my heart breaks a little that I can't be there to share the milestone day with her.

I only hope that in almost exactly nine years time, when I'm celebrating the same figure, that I've managed to achieve anything close to my incredible sister.

And I really hope, that on that day, she'll be there with me too.

1 comment:

big sis said...

I'll be there my lovely lil sis - now stop making me cry. I'm 40 now you know xxx