Saturday 29 March 2008

Gorgonzola The Great

A wedge of this wonderful cheese, in all its stinky finery became my third 'cheese of the week'.

It came to me from Piedmont, Italy, via a man with many gestures at the Borough Market -London's finest and oldest food market. It has been at its present location for over 250 years. My new cheese did smell as if it had been there for a fair few too, but that old shoe stink never put me off a good cheese experience.

As the kind man of many gestures carved me my wedge off the massive, gooey round on his table, I asked him how I should eat my new Italian friend. He suggested with fruit, or just by itself.

And so I wandered over to a neighbouring stall, purchased some quince paste (not as good as my mum's, but you can't have everything) and some oat biscuits.

Another wonderful 'cheese of the week' experience.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to a conference on Gross National Happiness this evening... i think cheese is a key component of this. i might just bring it up in the meeting! xx

Nicki Natter said...

ohhhhhhhhhh Milka chocolate! It got me around Europe.....mmmmmm