Tuesday 8 April 2008

It's Just Crushing

This story of a small town girl living in big city London is a well-rounded tale in most respects. There is drama; comedy; laughter and tears. It is human-interest and documentary all rolled into one. But there is definitely one element missing. The 'love interest'.

Cue 'Crush 2008'. Not since the fondly remembered 2006 crush of 'Dry Cleaning Guy' has my life seen this sort of fluttering of hearts.

I have a completely ridiculous, yet fabulous crush. You know the type. When someone with otherwise only a cameo role in your life, sets centre stage alight.

Crushes are crazy because you know that the person probably doesn't even know you are alive; yet they have the power to reduce you to the consistency of two day old packet custard.

It is like being 12 again, with that TV Hits poster of George Michael on your wall. Or like when I met my favourite Radio New Zealand presenter, Bryan Crump, when he needed change for the vending machine. And I had some. If only I could open my wallet. I lost all motor skills and the ability to speak in any language apart from some sort of Jabba the Hutt impression.

But back to the present. It is amazing how completely ridiculous things can come out of your mouth when you are being so careful trying to impress. And how can I possibly have pesto in my teeth when I can't even remember the last time I ate it. 'Sensible Emma' rolls her eyes, shields her face from the shame, muttering 'how embarrassing' under her breath. All the whilst 'Possessed by Crush Emma' giggles uncontrollably and says a stream of inappropriate things.

How can I be Audrey Hepburn with the 60 year old postman, then a female George Bush / David Brent rolled into one, so soon after?

Crushes are great when you know that they will never eventuate into anything complicated, and they simply serve the purpose of popping a couple of nice moments into your day. And that is exactly what Crush 2008 does. Just like the Dry Cleaning Guy did in 06. That was before the restraining order..

After all, every girl needs something to get her out of bed in the morning, right?

1 comment:

Special K said...

Oh my, I know what you mean. Who is the lucky recipient of your desire? My last crush DID turn into something - an extra person in the world who is currently sleeping like the proverbial angel in his room but could explode into hunger screeches at any moment.
I'm really enjoying your blog, little miss Bramwell. k xx