Friday 26 September 2008

Pick-a-path

I was meant to be half a world away by now.

I would have been soaking up some New Zealand springtime before packing up and leaving again.

But I changed my mind.

Some of you may know that somehow I managed to bag an all-expenses paid stint at a university in Japan. Kick-off: October 2008. Next week. 18 months of research in a topic of my choosing.

But Japan is a very hard place to live. And when it came to the crunch, the thought of going back there freaked me out a little. Besides, I'm in love. With a wonderful city called London.

I feared I would regret giving up the opportunity. Some people would kill for it. But since I finally made up my mind, I have never once looked back. Everyday I wake up in the knowledge that I have made the right decision. Picked the right path.

London: it has been magnificent. And if you are ok with it, I'd like to stay please. What was meant to be a brief affair has turned into a proper long-term relationship. I love your crisp autumn mornings where the low hanging sun bounces off Clapham Common; your incredibly talented collection of buskers; your heaving pubs on a Friday lunch for a fish finger sandwich and a pint of Strongbow; your quirky and slightly throaty laugh and roguish, scruffy nature.

It is nice to finally feel roots grow from my feet and have no more moves tattooed in my future.

Thanks London. It's so nice to call you home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You totally made the right decision about Japan... though, with slight sadness, i crossed-out numerous notes in my diary about your much anticipated September return to NZ!

Fingers-crossed for new years... am missing you toooooo much. But if not new years, see me in London in 2 long-years... or maybe a trip to a mid-way (tropical!) point should be on the cards!!! xoxoxk

Anonymous said...

Well done Ezi, good call there.Would of loved a trip to the Land of cherry blossom but London is very OK with moi. You're a happy girl and that's what parents want. Hope the visit home next year for birthdays can become a reality. Love and miss you.