Wednesday 22 April 2009

Our Batphone & Mavis the Motorola


Our phone rang the other night. It just about scared the bejesus out of me. No, not one of our house's many mobiles that seem to live down the side of the sofa or in jacket pockets. Nope. Our actual house phone that is plugged into a socket in the wall.

Our phone is my pride and joy. Shiny and retro, it has a great ring that sounds like the original batphone. If only it lit up. It was quite nice sitting at the dining room table having a conversation on our phone. Resting the receiver on my shoulder and twirling the cord between my thumb and forefinger.

At the other end of the spectrum, I'm thinking of putting Mavis the Motorola mobile into early retirement. I'm almost sold on an iphone.

We've been through some good times, me and Mavis. Boy have we ever. She's been everywhere from Switzerland, Tahiti and New York. She's worked in corporate suites at numerous rugby internationals; and she has even taken part in a newspaper feature. She has never let me down either. Never run out of battery at a vital moment; never taken off by herself without telling me on a night out. She 'disappeared' for a weekend once, but I found her having some time out in one of my bags. Fair enough. Everyone needs a break once in a while.

I haven't spoken to her about the iphone plan yet. I didn't want to alarm her. I guess I just need to find the right moment to break the news.

1 comment:

Foo said...

If Mavis so much as catches a whiff of your plan, you can absolutely count on her breaking down (and crying) never to work again. Trust me on that.

If you are planning on going with an iPhone, there are a lot of rumours that a new release is just around the corner in June/July. This means that you can get the latest shiny device when it is released or pick up the older, not so shiny current iPhone for cheaper. Of course, over here there are big handset subsidies clawed back through higher monthly charges. Good luck in making your decision! :-)