Monday 6 July 2009

Grand Premiere of '9 whilst I'm still 29'

It was the 4th of July and I was to tick off my first of my nine challenges. The date was somewhat fitting as it marked exactly seven months until I was to clock 30.


The invitations were sent, the menus printed, the gazpacho was in the fridge. The evening sunshine I ordered arrived at exactly the right time. So in a civilised fashion we stood in the garden and drank champagne.

Slowly but surely the sun went down and one by one the courses came out.

And with each course, one of my wonderful guests would present the book they most believe I should read before I get to thirty years. From the poetic to the psychotic; fantasy to philosophy; each person would talk about why they chose their book.

Gradually my reading list for the next seven months took shape by way of a pile on the dinner table.

And finally after eight other courses, over a whole lot of cheese, at about 1am, with heavy eyes and swollen bellies, Anika told us the bedtime story of 'The Penguin of Death' who is strangely attractive because of his enigmatic smile. My last book to add to the list.

We left the evening a little bit heavier, and quite a lot disturbed by the penguin who can kill you in any one of 412 ways.

And I went to sleep early that Sunday morning, happy in the knowledge that I had already completed one task with relative success, and also that I had such wise and wonderful people in my life.

No comments: