Saturday 10 October 2009

Books to read before I'm 30 - book three

Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

It's one of those books I have always meant to squeeze into my life somewhere along the way, but I never was much good with the idea of wizards.

However the overwhelming talent of Tolkien is enough to capture even this realist's heart. Just like when reading 'A Suitable Boy' I spent a lot of time whilst reading 'Lord of the Rings' wondering how this could have been written by a human being. Its detail, depth, complexity, poetry, colour and life is such that you could be led to believe it is of another world.

I may have rolled my eyes once or twice at having to read a book which is so long my version was separated into three 'normal' sized books, but I have already found myself forcing it on others like some crazed paperback pusher.

No comments: