Friday 25 May 2012

Dear Ghana


As I find myself back in my real world, I just wanted to say...

...Thank you.

Thanks to all the taxi drivers who took me from one side of the city, to the other. Going out of their way to make sure I got to the correct destination, even if they had to ask twenty different people for directions. Ben: I'll let you know if I find you a white lady to marry.

And to Prince, the wonderful receptionist at Pink Hostel, thank you for being so patient with me and giving me directions three times over when I looked lost, for fixing me up with a phone, printing, taxis, and highlights of the FA Cup (even though the reception was so bad there were 33 players on the pitch).


Thanks Ghana for being so innovative and supplying water in bags rather than just bottles. A tenth of the price and so much less packaging. Smart idea.

And I can't forget all of the wonderful people I spoke to, in particular the two very inspiring academics who looked after me so well, calling anyone and everyone who they thought might be of any assistance to me.


To the University of Ghana, with the best reputation in Western Africa, thank you for reminding me what it is like to be part of an academic institution again. To walk amongst the buildings, from faculty to faculty, alongside thousands of others, all just trying to learn some stuff.



Thank you Ghana. For your intriguing history, big smiles, burning heat, drums, song, dust, breeze, strength, forward thinking, and generosity.

See you soon.

No comments: