Saturday 7 February 2009

Anna and I

Between the ages of five and about ten, Anna and I were best friends. Her room was my room. My clothes were her clothes. Her family was my family.

Although strangers would ask if we were sisters, I remember feeling different to Anna. She was this petite, athletic, slightly blonde girl who would go a deep bronze in the summers we spent together. Although I was always a 'front row in school photos' child myself, Anna made me feel that little bit tall and awkward.

We spent our days at the school pool lying on the scorched concrete in dripping bathing suits, making seven year old sized imprints before overheating and jumping back in. We played endless games of tennis; and spent hours grooming her constantly slightly depressed-looking Shetland pony.

Although we were best of friends, we fought too. I still remember the silent treatment I got from Anna after I was chosen for a reading part in the Christmas play. She recovered quickly after morning tea when she was handed the lead role of Rudolph which was all glory and no dull monologues.

I remember once being so enraged with Anna, that I dug deep to think of the worst insult I could possibly muster. I managed to come up with 'You are such a...... A feminist!' I had no idea what a 'feminist' was, but it sounded really bad. Anna was horribly upset at my label. Whatever it meant.

We tortured our families and classmates with our incessant performance of plays; hauling ridiculous costumes to school, transforming the classroom into a make-shift theatre, and testing the patience (and lesson plans) of our teacher Miss Godden. Who, at the time, was second on the 'list of greatest', aside from Anna.

When I was eight I had to change schools. And it broke my heart. We were still the best of friends, but when Anna's family moved islands to Christchurch, the gap widened emotionally as well as physically.

Now I hear news of Anna through the Christmas cards that our mothers still diligently exchange. But in my mind, she is still that small, quick, fair haired girl who was just that bit faster, bolder, and nonchalant than me.

No comments: