Sunday 1 February 2009

Into another dimension

I'm reading a very enlightening book at the moment, which is giving me a little glimpse into the previously dark, musty and unused room of physics.

It told me recently of a theoretical physicist by the name of Lee Smolin whose fecund universes theory (stay with me people) surmises that black holes in our universe are effectively doorways to neighbouring universes.

Apart from the concept of there being more than one universe completely blowing my mind, I also found that I could very easily relate that theory to long haul air travel.

It is just so strange to, one day, be on one side of the world, in the depths of short and wintry days; then 24 hours later, you are buying a pair of sunglasses at the airport before walking out into outrageous brightness with a desire to lie on the pavement to let the warmth soak into your bones.


But it isn't just the seasonal differences which make you feel as if you have been violently and suddenly sucked into another dimension.

I went from a universe where people quietly went about their business, to one where no one seemed to wear shoes and shop assistants were so friendly they practically removed your clothes for you in the fitting rooms.


It was a place of dry afternoon winds; towns that made you wonder if there had been some nuclear war that didn't make the news headlines because everyone was to concerned by the impending recession; excellent coffee; endearing accents (it took me three tries before I found out the 'tint' the biosecurity guy at the airport was asking about was actually a piece of camping equipment and not my bad regrowth); and most importantly, my wonderful family and friends.


Then all of a sudden, the black hole sucks you up and with a thud (and some bad airline food) you are back where you started.


Thanks for having me New Zealand. It was nice to see you again.

No comments: