Wednesday 27 January 2010

Books to read before I'm 30 - Book 4

'Small Wonder' by Barbara Kingsolver

Barbara stole my heart with her beautiful novel 'The Poisonwood Bible' so I had a good feeling about Book 4 when I stepped into Unity Books, Wellington to try and find it.

It was the third bookshop I'd entered, but Unity is a very special place and I had faith that if it was a quality book, then it would be on a shelf in there somewhere. Unity is the kind of bookshop which makes me feel like a dog that's just been let of a leash in a park. I want to run madly about the place, rolling in interesting things.

Anyway, back to Small Wonder. This is a collection of essays written by Barbara not long after the September 11th disaster. However, far from being nationalistic, she brings a wonderful balanced view on everything from terrorism to vegetable gardens and eating beef.

Just like my wonderful auntie Annette, being around Barbara makes me want to be her.

This is my new bible. Everyone should read this book. Whether you are pre-30 or not.

No comments: