Tuesday 2 March 2010

Tube encounters

It seems like every time I return to London from somewhere outside the M25, I end up sitting next to a fairly 'eclectic' person or people on my tired tube journey home.

This time I'd been on a two night work trip to Edinburgh, Bolton and Nottingham, with two 5am starts and a whole lot of train journeys and plenty of staring at a teeny laptop screen in between. Not to mention the too many glasses of red wine in Edinburgh.... It was safe to say I was tired. And so without thinking, I was pleased to finally get a seat on the Northern Line with about ten stops to go.

Next to me was a man attempting to engage the entire carriage in chat. Apparently he'd just had such a great day at the recording studio he wanted to share it with the rest of us. Meanwhile I had my headphones jammed in my ears, eyes closed, and Hot Chip singing their sweet music to me, loud as could be.

Eventually I could ignore him no longer, and I prised open my left eye, to find him inches from my face. But he got me with his beautiful brown eyes so I couldn't help but smile at him. He said I was like the Buddha, so calm in this carriage of chaos.

When we came to his stop, he turned to me and stretching out his hand, said "I might never see you again".

"See you in another tube" I said, smiling.

No comments: