Wednesday 26 December 2007

These boots are made for....

My workmates officially think I am a freak. I let slip at the work xmas party, that I walk to the office every morning. I am now viewed with a slight sideways look of suspicion.

I think everyone remembers their first 'person under the train' incident. My first day of work was mine. A sad, sad thing. But after a while (maybe by the third body) you become somewhat heartless. Now it is not a shock; just pure inconvenience. The same frustrating morning I spent standing on the tube platform trying to get to work only to be, 45 minutes later, one further station back than where I started, my housemate found herself stuck in a tunnel for 25 minutes. Someone had wandered in, they said. The driver told the passengers that it took them half an hour to locate the body.

But I digress. I now walk my 8 stops along the Northern Line. It takes me just over an hour if I power it. Which lately I have been doing, simply to keep the frostbite from my toes.

It is amazing just how empty the streets are between the tube stations. And amazing just how close the tube stations actually are, in 'real life'.

I love my morning walks. Much nicer than spending a train trip with your head in someone's armpit.

No comments: