Tuesday 29 July 2008

An anti-religious experience

I could never understand some New Zealanders being so incredibly awestruck when they met famous rugby players.

But last night, I had that feeling. I sat perched in a chair for two hours, leaning forward, eyes wide, hands clasped.

Seven foot in front of me, on a stage I could have reached out and touched, was Salman Rushdie. Talking away quite happily, in his casual black trainers and slightly baggy jeans scuffed at the heel, about his book Midnight's Children which just won the Best of Booker Prize.

If Salman and I weren't such atheists, it would have been a religious experience.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice to know it's possible to sit talking happily when you have a million dollar bounty on your head x

Special K said...

i remember seeing mike leigh in soho once and watching him talk to someone on the street outside the resturant I was in. i kept saying it's mike leigh, oh my god it's mike leigh. my dinner pals weren't that impressed. he was wearing something akin to trackpants and a stained vest.

Anonymous said...

hey - what's up with the blogging? are you blogged out? yeah - it's a boring thing to do eh? falling in love is a lot more fun xxx