Saturday 9 May 2009

A list of 9 things to do whilst still 29

After significant qualitative research, I have finally prepared a list of nine things to do over the next nine months whilst I'm still 29.

Thanks to all those who contributed suggestions. I got everything from 'slide down the biggest bannister you can find'(tempting), 'have a baby'(not tempting) to 'jump out of a plane' (I said no alright!).

My 9 tasks come in no particular order and will be completed at varying times over the next nine months.

1. Run a marathon

I've always wanted to do this, and after watching the London Marathon I knew I had to do it. However London comes but once a year, so I have to wait until next April, by which time I will already be into my 4th decade. Fortunately Berlin puts on what is supposed to be a great marathon in September. Before reason had time to come up and slap me on the forehead, I registered for the event.

2. Climb a mountain

I'm going to define a mountain as a pile of land over 1000m. They are a little hard to come by on this island, but I've got my eye on one in particular.

3. Cook a nine course dinner for nine people

Pretty self-explanatory really. But at this dinner, those nine people will help me with task number 4.

4. Read the nine 'best books ever written' as recommended by my nine guests

I'm forever trying to make people read 'A Suitable Boy' by Vikram Seth, like some kind of crazed book pusher. Now I want these people to make me read their version of 'the best book ever written'.

5. Do my RYA Coastal Skipper qualification

The ocean and I have the sort of connection that chokes me up just a little when I think about it.

Whenever we stayed on the boat in a marina somewhere, Dad and I would ritually take an evening walk. Up and down each arm of the marina we would go, playing the game where if you could have one boat, which would you choose. I remember thinking 'one day I'll have one of these'. I want to fall asleep listening to the waves tapping at the sides of my very own boat. This course is the first step.

6. Make a patchwork quilt by hand

I'd like to be craftier than I am. I think I have it in me. My mum is a craft genius. I want to be just a little bit more like her. I plan to make a quilt made up of fabric I have collected from family and friends. Important little scraps of their lives all brought together by my hands, a needle, and some thread.

7. Write something

I have vague ideas of what form this will take but I'm going to stay quiet about it for the moment. It may never get published, but it will be a step along that road I have been staring down for quite some time now.

8. Do nine things that scare me just a little

Or even just take me out of my comfort zone. My housemate is going to make me sing karaoke. Ergh.

9. Perform nine random acts of kindness

Surely living in a massive city like London makes this relatively easy?

So there it is. The complete list. I will keep you up to date on progress of course. Best get to it.

1 comment:

Special K said...

that is an awesome list. beyond awesome.