Saturday 9 May 2009

My new hero

I generally go through life thinking I've done alright so far until I watch another 18 year old win Wimbledon or discover people like Naomi James, my new hero.

Not only was she the first woman to sail single-handedly around the world via Cape Horn (completing it in 272 days, two days faster than Sir Francis Chichester did it) but she had only been sailing for six weeks before she set off. Originally from a sheep farm in New Zealand, she couldn't even swim until she was 23, and was only 29 when she finished her voyage in 1978.

In a month where women's magazine Marie Claire published a list of the top women to admire today which included: Angelina Jolie, Scarlett Johansson, and Oprah Winfrey but no sportspeople, politicians, or academics.. We need to keep remembering the incredible feats of women like Naomi James.

1 comment:

Foo said...

I think that is a very clear indication of where the media is today with regard to what is seen as worth admiring...